Saturday, August 14, 2010

Changes far and wide

It has been a month since my last post- I apologize for keeping you in suspense for so long! Ross and I have been very busy learning Portland, riding bicycles, and taking on projects galore! We have been feeling very crafty and creative lately, so I decided to give the blog a new look- I hope you like it!

We have become huge fans of the Goodwill store near our apartment- because it is so close to several prime Portland neighborhoods, donations come pouring from the trunks of Porsche, Mercedes, and Lexus SUVS (no joke- we see them all the time there!) and Ross and I are there to grab up their goods! A few weeks ago we got a small bookshelf for our computer stuff; most of the picture frames for our photo wall and our baskets and containers galore all come from the shelves of the local Goodwill... and we have high hopes for many more great finds as well!

Our most recent trip to Goodwill (Thursday) revealed a true diamond in the rough for us. We found a light wood kitchen bar/island with a full cutting board top. For a mere $39, we acquired an excellent piece of furniture, and have big plans to sand, re-stain, and polish it for a wonderful addition to our kitchen/dining area. Pictures of the process are on the way!

This week we finished our first big project for the apartment (which is what gave us the urge to start a new one!). While out shopping with Laura (a wonderful friend I have met while out here... AND her and her husband live in our neighborhood!) we found a wall clock on extreme clearance at Marshalls. The frame was completely scratched, the back drop looked cheap and costume-ish, the motor was broken, and it was missing its hands. As you can imagine, it was marked down from $70 to $13. Despite its dilapidated appearance and missing parks, Laura and I saw potential, and brought the clock home to Ross. After a little bit of creativity, a can of crackle spray paint, new clock parts, and several mailbox numbers, it looks like a completely new piece- and it matches Ross' pirate trunk!

Before...


After!


About two weeks ago I received a large package in the mail. Like all good kids, I was SO excited to tear into the box and throw the packaging peanuts all around the apartment (with a little help from Eisley of course!). Once inside the box I found two matching custom frames, holding my diplomas from both undergrad and grad school- what a wonderful surprise! We decided that one entire wall in my bedroom would be the "accomplishments wall"- already hanging is my two diplomas and Ross' shadow box that I made for him showcasing his 2009 Collegiate Cyclocross Nationals jersey and medal. THANK YOU Mom, LV, and Dad for the beautiful frames- I am so proud of them!



If you have any ideas of other projects we could take on, comments on our current crafts, or anything you would like to see us attempt, shoot me an email at KAH.Henderson@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment