Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Christmas Poem



‘Twas one week before Christmas, when all through the house
The pets were running crazy, Henry chasing a fake mouse.
The stockings were hung over the TV with care,
The Christmas tree was shining, the bottom half bare.



The pets were wreaking havoc, hardly lying in their new Christmas bed,
They were too busy knocking off ornaments, and tearing wrapping paper to shreds.
And me in my PJs and Ross in his biking cap,
Had just parted way to get our final Christmas presents wrapped.



When deep in my head there arose such a clatter,
I hustled around the house cleaning, to see what was the matter.
Away to the closet I flew like a flash.
Tore through my old blue jeans and grabbed my new sash.



My shoes were all neatly arranged, ready for sun, rain or snow
And my sweaters and t-shirts were stacked all below.
For what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But my giant packing list, I had no reason to fear!

With the coffee jitters I was so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment, blue berry muffins would be my breakfast fix.
More rapid than eagles to the cupboard I sprang,
And whistled and shouted and called out the ingredients by name!



“Now blueberries! Now flour! Now water and Salt!
Now turn on the oven! Oh my! That’s hot!
Eisley stop barking! Henry don’t lick the plate!
Now get back to the closet to get my suitcase straight!”

As rain drops fall from the Portland sky,
I dashed around the house to be sure I was ready to fly.
Because the very next day I would be on a plane,
After security checked all my luggage and confirmed my ticket and name.



So I scurried and packed and got my Christmas list checked
And cleaned up the kitchen and bedroom so they wouldn’t look so wrecked.
As I finally calmed now, and was turning around,
I saw Henry knock down four shiny ornaments in one single bound!



So I placed them up higher and straightened the tree,
And lit up the wreath that my Nana made just for me.
I threw all my presents in suitcase number two,
And sighed at the long list of things I still had to do.



For I was leaving the next day to go to NC for a break,
And as my flight was leaving so early, I had to be sure I wouldn’t be late!
I had fears of my layover and that in Chicago my plane wouldn’t be able to go,
Because the temperature was supposed to be 20 and they were calling for snow!

But I tried not to worry as I washed my face and brushed my teeth,
And took one last look at my Christmas tree and wreath.
My stress made me laugh and shake like a bowl full of jelly,
Or maybe that was a growling coming from my belly?


My plans were all laid out for the week ahead,
I knew deep inside I had nothing to dread.
I would see friends and family, we would all eat and drink!
I would come back to Portland bigger, or maybe my pants would just shrink?



I double-checked my planner and went back to work,
I had to make time to see everyone, so no one would think I was a jerk!
I closed down my laptop and packed it up tight,
And put in my carry on, so I would have if for the flight.

I plopped on the couch and let out a deep breathe,
I got everything done, I could finally rest.
Time to relax and watch movies and tonight open some presents too!
Merry Christmas to all my friends and family, I can’t wait to see you!




No comments:

Post a Comment