Thursday, October 27, 2011

Jack's Mannequin

My freshman year of college I was introduced to a band called Jack’s Mannequin. I immediately feel in love with their piano rock sound and soulful lyrics. With each new song they released, I grew more attached to the band.

My sophomore year of college I saw JM perform at Elon College with a childhood friend who shared my love for the band. The lead singer banged around and danced while flawlessly playing the piano, jumped up on the piano and completely rocked out. It was a small show, as the band was still growing, but great.

2 years later, as my birthday present, my mom took me to Myrtle Beach for a girls weekend, and to see JM at the House of Blues. I don’t think she had ever seen “concert Katie” before, as I jumped up and down and sang all the words, danced like a maniac, and had one of the best nights of my life. Mom sat on the stairs with the bouncer, about to fall asleep in the middle of the show. It’s one of my favorite memories of us.

This summer I learned that Jack’s was releasing a new album in early October of this year, which would accompany their new tour. They have grown in popularity and reach, and are now performing several nights a week in cities all over the US and Canada. Tomorrow night JM will be performing in downtown Portland in a small venue off of Burnside Ave. I of course bought tickets the day they became available. I have a feeling that Ross’ response to the show is going to be quite similar to Mom’s a few years ago, but I can hardly contain my excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment