Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple tree

In our backyard there lives an apple tree. It is a straggly little tree with awkward branches and weird-colored leaves. When we first moved into our house I had dreams of a bountiful harvest of apples. Our tree gave us about 11 apples. The squirrels and birds ate five, Eisley thought two were balls and threw them around the yard. I got four.

And all four had spots. And Ross refused to eat them.

But I was determined.

Last night I gently cut up our 3 remaining apples (one was yucky when I got into it) and sliced them into thin pieces. I added 3 granny smith apples from the store. I made a homemade pie crust. From scratch. With oil.



I added my apples with cinnamon and sugar. I made a crumb topping with flour (and more sugar). And LOTS of butter.


Bake it for 45 minutes. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


Not a great picture, but YUM! My Grandma Lillian would be proud!

Thank you backyard tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment