Monday, March 19, 2012

Weekend Wrap Up

This weekend was the Shamrock Run in downtown Portland. 32,500 people showed up to race in either the 15k, 8k, or 5k. Ross and I signed up for the 8k (4.97 miles).

Ross wore all lime green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.


I wore all black to be a running ninja.


We took the bus down to Water Front Park where the race began. Here is Ross waiting at the bus stop at 7am Sunday morning. Excited, huh?


Here is a bit of background info. Ross is a kick-butt cyclist. He is fast and has endurance like a crazy person. But, he doesn't run a lot. You may remember he participated in Hood to Coast last August (the relay race from Mt. Hood to the Oregon coast). He participated in that race with very little training and still did phenomenal. He has ran one time since that race.

So then there is me. I run 3-4 days a week, as I am gradually training for my second half marathon. I don't love running, but I love the way I feel after, so I push through it.

So the buzzer goes off at 8:30am Sunday morning and thousands of people start running. Ross tells me good luck, and takes off. Despite having no running training, he is SO much faster than me. He gets lost in the sea of people running in green and I push in, ready for the 5 mile run ahead of me.

Around the 1 mile mark I start to regret the intense core workout I had done the day before. That wasn't my best decision. But then I look up, and there is my sweet Ross, waiting for me beside the road. He jumps in with the pack, and shrugs. "It is more fun running with you." He could have finished the race so much faster, but chose to run with me instead. Isn't he the sweetest?!?!

So we trudged through and I recorded my personal best time for a running race- mostly because I had my own personal cheerleader running beside me!

So to celebrate, I made a chocolate cake. From scratch!


And guess what?! We have visitors this week! Dad and Grandma Lillian will be here Wednesday through Sunday. Fun times ahead!

And here is a picture of Henry to end today's post.


Aww!

1 comment:

  1. I love Henry.... and you are a wonderful runner just like your mom!!

    ReplyDelete