Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ode to Emmett and the New Green Babes

So I said I wouldn't do it.... embarass myself by writing a blog post about a plant... but I feel like you guys already know I am a complete weirdo, so why not broadcast it all over the blog?!
 
 
Emmett was one of the first things I bought in Portland. He is a jade plant and was no larger than my hand when we first got him from the Trader Joe's down the road. We set him on our porch and he grew a very little every day. When I went to work at my first job in Portland (you know the one in the warehouse that I wasn't too crazy about), Emmett went with me. He sat on my desk on rainy days, and on days when the sun would peak through the clouds, I would carry him outside to sit on the sidewalk in the sun. We had a good thing going.
 
 
When the company closed and kicked all of the employees out (yes, it was just that), we had only a few minutes to pack everything up. I snatched up my purse, grabbed my bottle of hot sauce out of the fridge (because who doesn't need their own personal bottle at work?!), and lugged Emmett out of the warehouse.... never to look back.
 
 
Over the next couple of months Emmett got to live the life of luxury. I potted him into a bigger pot (his third at this point), and posted him on our outside brick fireplace in the backyard (we were now living in the cute little house in North Portland with the perfect back yard). Emmett thrived in his new spot, basking in the all day sun.

At the end of summer when the rain came, I lugged Emmett down 10 blocks of the Pearl District and to my office at Canary. By this point he was very big and very heavy. He grew to be 2 feet in diameter, and with his pot, he probably weighed around 15 - 20 pounds. He enjoyed living at Canary and he even got a little bit of bird decoration.
Emmett's sunny window at Canary with his fake bird friend.

Then, the big announcement and Ross and I started to pack for North Carolina. On my last day in the office I realized that Emmett was just too big for the car ride home and would probably be squished by Eisley's clumsy paws or an uneven suitcase. I left him at the office, making my coworkers promise to sprinkle him with water and rotate him weekly. And yes, I even shed a few tears when I said goodbye to my dear plant.
Saying good-bye to Emmett
Now as we are settled into our new digs in Chapel Hill, I am cultivating quite a collection of new plant babies. I would like to introduce:
 
 
Buttonwillow (B.W.) the Bonsai Palm was a welcome to NC gift from Courtney. He likes filtered light, moist moss, and poking me with his spikey leaves.
Don't touch the leaves... OUCH!

Jasper Jade (J.J.) the Jade plant was a Whole Foods purchase. 
Loves lots of light, water sprinkled on his leaves, and a daily "pet."

Jade-osaurus (Dino) the Jade clipping. A friend of a friend has a massive Jade tree who frequently sheds "clippings" or little stems with a couple of leaves looking for new soil to sprout in. I took one of the clippings home, talked to it every day (because it likes that), gave it the perfect amount of water, and am happy to report it has firm roots and is sprouting new growth.
With a lot of sun, a little water, and TONS of love, one day he will be as big as Emmett!

Juniper and the Fuzzy Navels (The Gang) is a mixed pot of succulents and were a gift from Mama G Bowden. 
Loves: sun and dry soil. Needs: a new pot!

Might Mint (the Big M) the, you guessed it, Mint plant. A gift from my Nana, it is a beautiful and wonderfully fragrant addition to the front porch, especially in its cardinal pot!
Mint Juleps anyone?
So those are my green babies. (Please don't think I am too weird, ok?)

No comments:

Post a Comment