We got Eisley when we had been dating for only a month and she quickly became our baby (at least we spoiled her like one). We call her and Henry our "fur kids" and sometimes joke that I should be a "stay-at-home-fur-mom." Eisley is just as much a part of our family as anyone else.
Last night I took Eisley for a evening stroll around the neighborhood. When we got back, she went and rolled around in the monkey grass to cool down, the same as she always does. When it was time to go inside she wouldn't walk on her back foot- I assumed she had a briar in her paw (a regular occurance in our neighborhood), but when I couldn't find the briar I left her alone to self soothe.
A few minutes later she still wouldn't come near me and I knew something was wrong. Ross hurried home from his errands and assessed her foot. In the couple of minutes she was laying on her bed, her foot had swolen about double in size and the skin was splitting apart. We knew something was terribly wrong.
We rushed Eisley to the Urgent Care vet in Durham (about 20 minutes away) with the tidbit of knowledge that it costs $90 just to walk in the door. After a quick examination they concluded it was a snake bite- more than likely a copperhead. A poisnous snake had biten our baby. They whisked her to the back and hooked her up to IV fluids, painkiller, and antibiotics. They recommended that she spend the night. Copperhead bites are common in our part of the state but the doctor said this was a very severe case.
As you all know, Eisley is a lover. She is a bit over emotional and extremely attached to her human parents (and grandparents for that matter). Due to her chronic steroid-responsive encephalitis that is mostly triggered by stress, Eisley has never been boarded, never spent the night in a kennel. She has always had the blessing of a pet sitter, friend, or loving grandparent to watch over her in our absence. I was more worried about her emotional well-being, alone in a kennel, scared and in pain, than I was the side effects of the snake venom.
As we left our baby, being held down to the table for her catheter to be inserted, we were asked to make a credit card deposit of several hundred dollars and sign a form that asked us our preference for cardiopulmonary resuscitation should her heart stop and her breathing cease. Basically, we had to sign a DNR form for our dog. With that, I became a hysterical mess.
We spent the night tossing and turning, but was pleasantly surprised to receive a phone call from the vet at 7:15 this morning. They said she was ok, still in pain and distressed, but that she could come home. The doctor said however much venom the snake bit into her, she had a very extreme reaction to it.
Eisley is now on the kitchen floor, laying on a doggie bed covered in old towels, moaning and crying. She has to wear a cone on her head to keep her from licking the infected area where her skin had died from the venom and has become exposed flesh, which in turn keeps her from eating and drinking like normal and makes it impossible to get around like normal. A once clumsy dog now runs into walls constantly, holding up her injured foot, limping and moaning in the process.
It is going to be a long road to recovery. The doctor estimates a 2 - 3 week recovery time for the infected area, saying that it will probably be raw, ooozy, and very painful during this time. We are so thankful to have our little girl home and Henry is being a good little brother to her, sniffing and loving on her from outside her cone. I ask that you keep Eisley in your prayers and send happy doggie vibes her way and we will keep you updated on her progress.