Monday, September 17, 2012

It's about time...

... for a NEW PROJECT!!!!  Between work craziness and taking care of the fur kids and the house, I haven't had time to start a new project. Not to mention, I don't have the outdoor space or garage that I have had previously as a work space.  But, despite all of these obstacles, I have been hankering for a new project... you guys know me- I LIVE for new projects!  (Wait... did I just say "hankering?")

So, I have been brainstorming about a project I could do in stages, that wouldn't take up a lot of time in between stages, and that didn't require paint/chemicals/outside space/etc.  It was about the same time that I started cleaning out my closet and drawers and realized I had a TON of t-shirts, that while I didn't necessarily wear them (ever!) I couldn't bear the thought of getting rid of them. There are special memories in those t-shirts, folks!  So slam! Bam! Wheels started turning, and a t-shirt quilt came to mind. Here goes nothing!

Step 1: Compile the t-shirts.  Now that, my friends, is the easy step. I decided to make the quilt a "College Years" quilt, encompassing all of my favorite memories in Black and Gold. And since Ross, of course, went to Appalachian too, and since that is where we met and fell sooooo in love (awww!), I got to throw some of his favorites in the mix too.
Check out that pile of t-shirts!!

Step 2:  Trim the extras.  Once I had my pile of shirts, I had to cut off all of the sleeves and extra fabric so that the decorated portion of the shirt can lay flat.

Step 3: Add the interfacing.  After I had the shirts trimmed down, I ironed on some non-woven interfacing onto the back of the design. This stabilizes the fabric and  helps make the t-shirts less stretchy and unpredictable.

Step 4: Make a quilt square. Once I had the interfacing ironed on, it was time to cut down the t-shirt to a quilt square.

And... that's where I am now! I have about half of my shirts trimmed down, ironed, and made into squares. I still have a lot more to go, but it is definitely a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment